Friday 13 September 2013

Ironman Wales. The Run

The bike leg took almost 8 hours but I was ecstatic that I had made it well before the cut of time. The first thing I put on when I got in the transition tent was my Superwoman knickers over my tri suit.  I had promised to wear them if anyone made a £200 donation to Macmillan. A special person did just that. I grinned and thought about her as I pulled them on.
I ran out of the transition tent feeling nervous but elated.  I soon heard Jon again and Mary too,  I remember exchanging words with them but not sure about what.   I ran slowly and steady, actually that's the best I do at running- slow!
The crowds did their thing as they had all day.  The pants went down a storm and got a lot f attention from spectators and runners alike.
The run consisted of a loop just over 10km that we had to do it 4 times.  The run to the furthest point was a gradual ascent.  I had done so much training on hills and now I was so pleased that I had.  I heard a few complaints about the hills but I have to say I found them ok.
At the first junction where we joined the main road the Macmillan Cancer Support crew were there.  They whooped and hollered each time I passed in my green Macmillan vest.
As I ran up that first leg I was now one of the runners that the cyclists could see running as they came in on their ride.  I could not believe my eyes, there were loads of riders still coming in.  This made me feel really proud. 
I ran to the furthest point and then turned on the timing mat.  I think the mat was used to get our times out online to our followers.  As we got to the furthest point I had to go through a type of gate and the marshal slipped a coloured fabric band onto my arm.  Each time you got here you got a different colour. Yellow was the first, red was the last, blue and green came in between.
The feed stations were great, they had gels, cola, water, power horse energy drink, and savoury biscuits. 
All along my biggest worry was nuitrition. At each station I had a gel, water or cola and a savoury buiscuit.  I took advice from Davids  coach and walked at each feed station. Giving my heart a chance to calm down and to digest the drink.  
As I approached the Macmillan team for the second time I had done 7 km and I had developed a blister on the sole of my right foot.  Each step was agony. I couldn't believe it!  At the junction was an ambulance so I asked the team if they had a blister plaster.  They didn't but the paramedic had a look and dressed it for me.  I put my shoe back on and tied it loosely.  Hey presto it was fine.  I was so relieved. 
Loads of runners passed me, but I didn't mind at all. I just kept plodding on.  I knew I was drinking enough as  had to pee at every feed station and we passed them 16 times.  I know I lost a lot of time here, but so what.  As time went on though, I was longer each time as it took more energy to stand up.  My legs were getting weaker, but I only felt it when I sat down.  There were portaloos at the feed stations I hasten to add.
By time I had done two loops and 14 miles I began to have a real belief I could do it.
It began to rain and I picked up a silver blanket to run with.  On my way to get my third band I was very tired and began to think of my Mum.  She would be so proud and would be cheering me on and laughing at my Superwoman pants.
Here I was fit and healthy running for my Mum and n this day in her life it was her last.  It was a strange feeling and made me sad.  I couldn't let myself cry now! 
Then I thought of what my friend Helen told me in Africa on our cycle ride.  She made me see things from a different perspective and this has allowed me to let go of the grief that I have coveted all these years.  The simplest of words can have the greatest of meaning sometimes.  Thank you Helen.
I snapped out of it and with a spring in my step carried on.  I loved my Mum so much and could never find words enough that were fitting, so she was told every day.  And she always told me she loved me. I was  very lucky indeed.
By the last lap I was shattered and wasn't sure how I would make it to the end, but I knew I would.
As I was given that last red arm band I did a little dance and sang " I've gat a red band"  The volunteers had a good laugh at me.
Then I got into town and someone said to me I had three minutes to get to the end if I was to make it under 16 hours.  I had no idea how far I was from the end but I just sprinted and as I rounded the corner there it was, the finish banner.  I did it!
I saw nothing, I just ran as fast as I could and could hear the shouts.  Someone put a ribbon around my neck and took the timing chip from my ankle. Then Mark and Kirsty were there.  It was so good to see them. We chatted for a while in the rain before I went into the transition tent.
Within minutes I was a shaking wreck, cold and weak.  Mark and Kirsty took me to my accommodation.  Sleep did not come easy.
I am still amazed that I did it.  There was a time I couldn't do more than three minutes on a rower, now I am an Iron Woman.
My Mum would be proud, and I am proud of me.
On top of that I have managed to raise cash for Macmillan Cancer Support.  Thanks to all those who sponsored me and I am so relieved I did not let you down.







No comments:

Post a Comment