Wednesday 11 September 2013

Ironman Wales.The Swim. Sunday 8th September

I set my alarm for 4.15 am and when it went off I was pleased that I'd had a decent sleep. Even though I had been woken at 2am by the rain.
I got up and faffed a lot, had porridge, yoghurt and toast for breakfast and made a few peanut butter rolls for the bike leg.
I had a white bag for my wet suit and swim kit and a yellow bag for extra food.  I left the B&B a bit later than planned. Oh we also had a smaller purple bag.  More on that later.
The only parking available was a very long walk from town and it was still very dark.  Lots of people were parking and making their way to town with their white and yellow bags.  My bags felt pretty heavy, but then I had three 750ml water bottles filled with energy drink and some energy bars for the bike.
I followed others to the transition area and my bike.  I was glad I put the cover on my bike overnight.  I put the two drinks bottles in the holders, stuffed two bread rolls into my makeshift holder that I had made to fit between my aero bars.  And put some gels and an energy bar into the small tri bag on my frame.  A quick check of the tyre pressure and that was the bike sorted.  I used the yellow bike cover to stand on and I stripped down to my tri suit and battled my way into my wet suit.  I only put it on up to my waist as I knew I would need a wee before we set off for the long walk down to the beach.  Just under 1km.  I also put my timing chip around my left ankle where it would stay for the duration of the race.
I then went and handed my white bag in which now had my warm clothing in, I handed my yellow bag in too. All bags had my race number on.  I didn't really have time to feel my nerves. Once my bags were handed in all I had now was my purple bag.  This was for my trainers once we got to the ramp going down to the beach.
But now I had to queue for the loo.  There were plenty of portaloos on site and there were a few queues.  Bladder emptied I could fight my way back into my wetsuit.  While I was hopping around getting an arm in a sleeve, David came by.  He had to do the same as me.  Once he'd emptied his bladder we zipped each others wet suits up and set our watches.  It was good to have him to laugh and joke with and we walked down in the procession together.  The atmosphere was amazing, people lined the streets all the way to the final ramp.  They cheered and blew horns, some were dressed in crazy hats and wigs.  The sight of the sea was quite surreal and it was nice and calm. 
The zig zag ramp down to the beach is lined with railings and set up on the rails were hooks with out race numbers above them.  When you got to your number you took your trainers off and put them in your purple bag and hung it up.  Being 1276 I was mid way.  There were hundreds on the beach ready to go.
David and I walked together onto the beach and the count down had already begun.  We had thought of getting wet first but we had no time now.  The starting horn sounded, David and I hugged each other, wished each other the best and we walked in the water.  I was quite happy to start so far back as I didn't want to get caught up in the madness.   As it happens it was too far back as I found myself catching and passing swimmers.  Its a waste of energy however, when you have to swim around people, but I had found a rhythm quicker than I though and I didn't want to slow  down.  Within seconds of starting it began to rain.  My thoughts immediately went to all the people in Tenby supporting us.  I quickly focused on the job in hand.  It was going to take me about one hour 20 minutes and I had swum just short of that in training twice a week with no trouble.  I was happy in the water weaving in and out of the other swimmers.  The first 750 metres seemed to take ages as we swum against the current and it was an unusually high tide.  I had found some space on the way but as we neared the first buoy it got a bit crazy as everyone was trying to keep the distance down by turning as close to the buoy as possible.  I just didn't think it was worth it so kept wider than anyone else and once round it I headed for the red roof of the lifeboat station.  Right in our path was a large blue boat, early on I made the choice to keep the boat between me and the beach.  Just because I could see most people did the opposite and I would have space.  I passed the boat and now had the second buoy in my sights.  The turn around the second buoy wasn't as congested as the first and now I headed toward the beach.  I was still passing swimmers and as I got nearer the beach I kicked harder to get the blood to my legs so they didn't buckle when I got to he beach.  It worked, I swam in as far as I could as it is more efficient that wading.  I stood up carefully and wanted to be sure I could run and not fall flat on my face. ( I've done that before).  Yip I  was OK, I ran up the beach under the banner and down the beach again into the water.  Before I dived in I checked my watch, 40 minutes had gone by.  A bit slower that I hoped for but with 1900 metres to go still I felt comfortable.  I cant say I noticed anything on that run up and down the beach.  I was so focused on what I was doing that I saw nothing but the sand ahead of me.  Now on he second loop I had loads of space, all the swimmers
around me were spread out now.  I had to keep reminding myself about good technique which made all the difference as it makes you so much more efficient.  On this second loop I noticed there was quite a swell in the water now, but that didn't bother me, I was loving it.  I continued to pass swimmers and now I noticed the odd swimmer passing me.  I didn't try and stay with them but just kept to my comfortable pace and rhythm.  The turn around that first buoy this time was fine with much fewer swimmers.  I kept the big blue boat to my right again and noticed that the church spire was pretty impressive from the water and I used that as my guide to the last buoy.  Once past that last buoy it was only 400metres to the beach and the end of the swim.  Again I kicked harder now to get the legs in shape for the run.  I came out the water and headed for the ramp. As I ran to the ramp I pulled the zipper down on my wet suit and peeled it off my arms.  I ran up and made two turns on the zig zags, now my trainer bag was on the third section but the numbers had come off the rail. I had run up to this point and was crestfallen when I realized it was going to be a mission to find my trainers.  I must admit I just stood there not knowing how to deal with this.  I looked at the sea of bags and my heart crumpled.  Then an assistant helped and I found my bag.  I quickly put my trainers on, and grabbed the small bottle of water from the bag.  I trotted the rest of the way up sipping my water and ran through the town to the transition tent.  Again the streets were lined with spectators all cheering us on.  I ran into the huge transition tent and grabbed my blue bag off the rack.  It was packed in there and people were hastily getting changed.  I took my bag to the centre where the chairs were and sat down to change.  I peeled my wet suit off and tried my best to get rid of the sand of my feet and lower legs.  I squished a gel down me, had a gulp of water, put my socks and shoes on, pulled my gillett on and put my helmet on.  There were lots f volunteers on hand to take your bag from you to hang up.  I ran out whilst pulling on my arm warmers.  I knew exactly where to go for my bike as I explained in my previous blog.  I so nearly got straight onto the bike forgetting that you could only mount once out the transition area.  I trotted to the exit and I was off.








No comments:

Post a Comment