Saturday 24 August 2013

Long Ride

Saturday 24th August.
Oh my what a day!
I wanted a long ride today and decided to go to Builth Wells in mid Wales again, as now I know the way and I like it up there.
I set of at about 9.30am and dammit the wind was in my face when I hit the road to head North and when I was on the open moor road it was tough going and despite it being cool and overcast, I was sweating like a pig.
Once in the relative shelter of hedgerows and hills the wind was more gentle.  I got to Talgarth sooner than expected and then before I knew it I was at Builth Wells. 
Now I must tell you that even at this late stage I am still experimenting with food for the long ride.  I am really worried about not getting it right for the big event in two weeks.  So today I made myself two soft white rolls, one with peanut butter and a bit of salt and the other with Tuna.  I wrapped them tight in cling film and they fitted in my jersey pocket.  I took along 6 caffeinated gels and a couple of energy bars.
I ate an energy bar after an hour and a half.  I still don't like them!
At Builth the plan was to eat one roll and save the other for later.  That didn't happen, I was so hungry and they were so nice I ate them both.  I sat next o the river and watched the ducks, it was so serene I wanted to stay longer.  But I now had to head home and there were lots of climbs in store so I had to leave.






It was nice not to have to check the map all the time.  I headed off on the B road which was a long climb out of the town.  I felt good and pedalled hard and paid less attention to the views.
I was surprised to get to Brecon with little effort.  I stopped briefly at garage to top up my water.









I knew there were big climbs coming up and then as I was climbing up the A470 I suddenly felt weak and shaky, I tried to ride through it but I just got worse.  I pulled into a layby and stopped.  I squidged a couple of gels down me and told myself that after I got to the top of this climb I would take the flatter and shortest route home.  After a few minutes I was back on the bike pedalling slowly upward.  Then I had a little talk to myself.  " What do you think you are doing, you don't give up when the going gets tough. You will feel ok in a bit and you will do the planned route with all the climbs.  What if you feel like this on the big day?  Get over it and get on with it!!"
And that's all I needed.  And I did feel better in a while and picked up the pace.
That's when I came across a selection of wood carvings on display.  I stopped to take pictures.






I carried on up and crested the hill to fly down the other side.  The downhill was short lived before I turned off and had another long climb to do, taking me past the Welsh Whiskey distillery.
Then a real test,  I was approaching the start of the biggest climb of the day.  By now I had covered almost 90 miles and was tired.  I kept telling myself I could take the flat route around instead of over the mountain.  But as  got to the round about I knew I would regret it if I wimped out.  So up I went and up and up and up.  A couple more gels helped and as I got to the last steep section I stood and pushed hard on the pedals.  Then the best bit of the day.  The tea van and the top makes the best tea and cheese roll.  I was so relieved to see the van.   I didn't spend long there as I didn't want to run out of day light and it was cold up there.









I put my jacket on as now I had lots of descending to do.  I flew down at over 40 miles an hour.
Once at the bottom it was a long flat ride to Pontypridd and for once I didn't get lost. 
Then I made a crazy choice!  Once I crossed under the main bypass, the route home should have been relatively flat.  But I was feeling great so decided to take the route over the mountain.  By now I had ridden just over 100 miles.
Well I didn't expect what came in the next few miles.  Climbs that were so steep I  found it hard to keep my front wheel on the ground and my legs were burning while turning the pedals.  It was hell and I had to keep checking where I was.  I had no idea most of the time.  It was frustrating having to stop so often but my legs were very grateful. I must say though, I earned some stunning views across the valleys.












  Eventually I popped out on the main road and I knew where I was again.
I felt ok and pushed hard to Ystrad Mynach.  Then the fatigue hit me again.  I felt weak and kept seeing flashing light in my peripheral vision.  I only had one short sharp climb and one long climb to do to get home.  I think I had another gel.
I got home just after 8.30pm.  I ate a Tuna roll and drank a glass of milk straight away as I knew I would not be able to eat later.  Once I fed my cats, I had a hot bath and then gave my legs a quick massage.  Even that seemed a chore, I was exhausted.
Then I managed to force a bowl of Blueberries, strawberries and yoghurt down.
My thighs are a little sore but my knees are really feeling it.  Must be all that hard climbing.
All in all I covered 116 miles and climbed 2956 metres but t did take me 9 hours 24 minutes ride time.













No comments:

Post a Comment