Sunday 4 August 2013

Sunday Long Run

Sunday 4th August 2013

After yesterdays long ride, I woke feeling very achy and tired.  I just didn't feel like a big run.  So I told my self I will be guided by my resting heart rate this morning.  If it was high then I could legitimately excuse myself from the run.  So I lay in bed and checked my heart rate.  I was most surprised to find it was 45 BPM.  No excuses then.
I got up and ate a good breakfast of eggs, tomatoes and a bagel.
It was raining cats and dogs out so that didn't help.  I nipped out to the bike shop for a new chain.
Still it was raining so I did some work for a couple of hours, proper work for my employers.

Eventually I accepted it wasn't going to stop raining so got changed and off I went.
I did my usual loop and to my surprise reached my usual halfway point 4 minutes quicker than before.  Whilst I was pleased, it was a double edged sword as this meant I had to run further to get my time in.  I felt much better on this run than I did last Sunday after the long ride.
 I opted for the river side route and it was a bit different due to all the rain.  The usual babbling brook was a torrent of brown water rushing along its meandering course making the sweetest rushing noise.
As I got back up onto the road I took the longer way home and this took me up two long gradients. A few drivers who recognised me hooted and waved.
It was still raining really hard and I was grateful for the cool drops on my skin.
By time I got home I had run 12 miles and  was happy with that as my usual pains didn't develop.
This means the stretching, icing and self massage is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment