Saturday 6 July 2013

Saturdays long ride

Today I was up at 6 am to go and meet friends in Bridgend for a cycle ride.  The plan was a four hour ride.
As early as it was, it was already very warm with not a cloud in the sky.  I mixed my drinks with ice cubes, ate a big bowl of porridge and a banana.
I put the bike in the car and set off in my cycling shorts and short sleeved top.  By time I got to Caerphilly, about ten minutes away, the sky was light grey with low cloud and the temperature dropped to 12 Celsius.
I felt a bit silly then as I didn't have a warm top to put on.  We all met up at Bridgend, Helen, Michelle and John.  The three of them have done lots of triathlons and are all accomplished Ironmen.
This is great for me as I ask lots of questions and take on board all the tips and advice.

We set of just after 8am and before too long the sun had burnt through the low cloud.  We warmed up nicely.  The road was undulating for the first ten miles, then we had a twenty mile climb that took us up 520 metres.  Helen and Michelle pushed on while John and I took it a bit easier, chatting all the way up. Once at the top, the general consensus  was that we return the same way to make the ride a bit longer.  So we had a fab 20 mile descent and I managed to get up to just over 40 miles an hour. 
We pushed the last ten miles quite hard and by time we got back to the car park my legs were feeling it. 

Over all it was a great ride with great company.

I am looking forward to tomorrows long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment