Monday 15 July 2013

Wales sportive



It was a fairly relaxed start, I had breakfast at 8am at my very crumby B&B.  I stickered up my bike and helmet and headed off to town to find the start point.  The 112 milers had started at 8.30 am.  I had no idea where we were starting from, but in town I saw a group of lads and they guided me toward the start which was on the outskirts of town.  It was already above 25 celcius.  I found some shade and sat down and relaxed while chatting to a guy who had done this before.

We were set off in groups of about 5 so as not to take up too much of the road.  The roads were not closed for the event.  I was determined not to push myself to hard.  I wanted to see how long it would take me at a steady pace.  As it turns out it was too relaxed a pace.


                                                            Profile of the route


We headed West and did a 30 mile loop before heading back to Pembroke and then North.  A lad called Ashley rode alongside me for ages.  He was a local lad and told me all about the route and what was to come.  The roads were undulating with some long steady climbs.  The temperature was getting silly so I tried to ride as smoothly as possible to save energy.  I was glad of the factor 50 sunscreen I had slapped on earlier.
 
The first water stop was most welcome. I poured water over the back of my neck and head to cool down.  I had eaten two gels and an energy bar and it all tasted sickly sweet.
I didn't stop for more that 5 minutes and was off again.  The heat was stifling and getting the legs going again was hard work.  After a while I found my rhythm again and just kept spinning.
We were cycling in some of the most beautiful countryside which served as a welcome distraction.
 
                                         David my friend who rode with me in Africa

 
As time went by the climbs seemed longer and steeper.  At about 55 miles some of the 112 milers were lapping me and they still looked very strong.  I had a rather negative moment thinking how the hell am I going to ride 112 miles on this course in less than two months time and then run the equally hilly marathon.  I pushed that thought from my mind and concentrate on smooth riding.

                          Young Ashley, we rode together most of the ride. He is only 16.

 
The second water stop never seemed to come and by now I was nursing the few drops of liquid I had left.  I was feeling drained and wanted fluids so badly.  I wasn't the only one worried about the distance between the water stops.  I heard a few comments by other riders who were also suffering.  That water stop was at the 60 mile point.  Rather silly really on a 70 mile course.  Ashley and I stopped to refill our bottles and have a cool drink.  As I stood alone topping up my bottles I was approached by a young woman, she was clearly upset and weary.  I asked if she was ok,  she got very teary and told me she was supposed to be doing the 112 mile ride but couldn't do it.  She went on to explain she was doing the ride and run in memory of her partner who had been killed in Afghanistan.  The poor girl was distraught,  after a hug and lots of reassurance she agreed that the 70 miles was still enough to be proud of.  She carried on while I took photos for some riders.  I couldn't justify loitering any longer, so hoped back on the bike and carried on.  About a mile along the road I saw the same woman stopped at the side, she was still upset.  I shouted out to her " Come on kiddo, ride with me"  I stopped a little ahead and waited for her.  I told her to get in my slip stream and we rode off together.  We passed a few riders and she stayed on my wheel on the flat and up a slight gradient.  Then some other riders pulled up next to her and began chatting to her.  That was perfect timing as we had approached a descent and I took off down and left them behind.  But I was sure that the woman would be fine. She just needed a little boost.

                                                              Fresh and ready to go.

 
There were only a few miles to the finish line in the centre of Tenby town, but bloody hell it all seemed up hill.  I was truly fed up with the hills now.
The final 200 metres or so was a narrow approach through the town and the route was lined by thousands of cheering people.  It was a very welcome sight and warm welcome.
So five hours after starting, I crossed the finish line.  In September I have to ride another 40 miles on top of that and I have to ride faster as I cannot afford five hours for the first 70 miles. 
Not long after I finished, David who I met in Africa crossed the line.  He had ridden the 112 miles and is also doing Ironman in Sept.  I must say that seeing him was the highlight of my day.  We had a chat and caught up before he had to head back to London.
I meandered to the registration building and had a leg massage which I needed as my knee was still not happy from last Sundays long run. 
All in all it was a great weekend despite the shabby accommodation.

-
Location:Tenby. Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment