Sunday 7 July 2013

Sundays grueling run

I had been looking forward to this run all week, as I had done most of it in reverse last Sunday. I found the very long off road descent hard on my knees so decided to do it the other way round today.

I got up late and faffed around before setting off at 11.40am.  My garden thermometer was showing 28 celcius in the shade so I knew it was going to be a tough run, especially the bits with no shade.  I had just over 500ml of energy drink with my breakfast to make sure I started off well hydrated.    I donned my race belt, put three energy gels in it, and a small 100ml bottle of water in the pouch, and for the first time I put my warrant card in the pouch too.  I don't usually carry ID  on a run, but for some reason felt I ought to. I also carried a 300ml running bottle with a Zero tablet dissolved in water.
I set off in the sun and ran down my hill and was in the sun for the first 15 minutes before making it to the cycle track and some much needed shade.  The first hour was on a slight downward gradient over a variety of terrain.  I was running alongside the river taking it easy as I knew that after the hour I would be going up, with little shade.  I was already sweating profusely and was sipping sparingly at my drink..
At the predicted time of one hour I got to the point at which I was to head up out of the valley onto the mountain.  It was a very steep start that had me walking the first bit.  Then the trail evened out to a gradual rise on a narrow walkers path.  It was tricky underfoot, with rocks and roots, then I turned onto the main track upward which was wide and strewn with loose rocks which made it harder as I was having to pick my footing carefully.  Now I was sweating so much I was like a sweat fountain for the flies.  I couldn't outrun the pesky things and was constantly swiping at them as they landed on my face neck or ears.  When I broke out f the cover of the trees, the sun and heat was relentless, it was beating down 35 celcius on me and I was struggling to keep going.  I started thinking about the mental challenge of the Ironman event.  No one was up here to see me and I could easily have stopped for a breather, but I said to myself, "this is nothing compared to how tough the event in September is going to be"  So I carried on, I was now on a wide fire road winding its way up.  I was running low on drink and emptied my small spare bottle into the bigger one.  The drink was horribly warm but it was wet.   The fire road was a real tough section, just because it was monotonous.  Then I peeled off to go higher still on a narrow trail that was more interesting.   The heat was getting to me and at 1 hour 55 minutes I was almost at the highest point.  I only had about two sips of water left.  I twisted my ankle slightly twice near the top.  I knew I was getting tired and not concentrating properly, that's why my ankle went.  I was annoyed with myself for that.  Once at the top it was a flat stony trail before heading down toward the road.  Thankfully, just before the road I met three mountain bikers on their way up and asked them for some water.  One chap had some ice cold water in his ruck sack and gave me some for my bottle.  It was so  refreshing!  Then I hit the road descent,  my ankle was hurting like hell and I had a stitch.  I had to walk some of he descent due to the stitch and ankle pain.  Once down I was able to run the last 3 km home on the road.  As soon as I got in, I started sweating even more.  I ran a cold bath and emptied my freezer of all the ice I had into it.
With my recovery drink in hand I gingerly lowered myself waist deep into the cold water.  It certainly takes your breath away.   The cold water was soothing on my ankle. 
Ten minutes in ice water was enough.   I rustled up a tuna salad and watched the last two sets of the men's  Wimbledon final. 
My ankle was still hurting so I have been putting an ice pack on it. 
My run was 13 miles long and the climb out of the valley to the top was 800 metres. I was out for 2hrs 47mins.  My longest yet.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. Don't know how you do it. Keep going. x

    ReplyDelete